Sunday, May 24, 2009

All I Have

Psalm 51 is written by King David after Nathan came to him after he committed adultery with Bathsheba. There is one verse that sticks out to me and is crucial to faith in God.

"My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise." (17)

As a believer in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit I must be able to understand and act upon this verse King David lays down. Due to God's omnipotence and omnipresence God is able to do anything and everything. So, what can we give to God? If God can do anything what can we contribute to our God's cause? King David realizes here that his spirit and heart are broken and he must present his heart to God. I must realize that the only thing that I can give to God of any value is my broken heart. We all can give God our heart. God will accept your heart regardless of its condition. God accepts David's heart even though he committed adultery with Bathsheba, got her pregnant, then placed her husband, Uriah, on the front line of his army so he would be killed, then he married Bathsheba so she did not give birth to a child out of wedlock. Despite David's wrong doings God accepted his heart as presented in Psalm 51. I must realize the same for my life and this goes for everyone. No matter what you have done, no matter what the condition of your heart is, no matter how terrible you think your actions have been, God will not despise. God will accept your heart because God loves you unconditionally. Well, what happens when God has your heart? What is the next step?

"Wash me and I will be whiter than snow" (7)
"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin." (2)
"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me... Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (10,12)

That is what is next, Forgiveness. God washes away all your separation from him, all of your wrong doing and creates in you a pure heart. A purity whiter than snow. Once, you hand your heart to God, God will immediately begin to cleanse your heart, and forgive for your sins. God will pick you up and direct you according to the path set for you. All you have to do is give God your heart. All I have to give God, is my heart. That is all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment