1. All 10 champs had at least 2 future 1st-round NBA draft picks on there roster
2. 9 of 10 had a winning streak of at least 10 games or more prior to the NCAA tourney
3. 9 of 10 finished the season with a scoring margin of +14.1 ppg or better
4. 9 of 10 had an opponents field goal percentage of .410 or lower
5. 8 of 10 had a field goal percentage of .480 or better
6. 8 of 10 were ranked in the top four of the preseason AP poll
7. 8 of 10 won at-least a share of their conference's regular season title
So what team fits all of these criteria....
The Kansas Jayhawks!
1. Xavier Henry, Cole Aldrich
2. They had win streaks of 14 and 13 games
3. +18 scoring margin
4. Opponent field goal percentage = 43%
5. Field goal percentage =48.8%
6. Ranked #1 in the AP preseason poll
7. Won the Big-12 regular season and post season titles
Other teams close to these criteria that you should consider for your National Champion pick:
- They only need to raise their field goal percentage a tick from .479 to .480
-They were not in the top four of the preseason AP poll, but meet all other criteria
- They were not in the preseason top four, they had a winning streak of only 6 games, and the are shooting less than 48% from the field. So they meet 4 of the 7 criteria.
4. Ohio State
- Not in the preseason top four, only had a winning streak of 7 games, and they only have a scoring margin of +13, and debatably they do not have two future 1st round picks on their roster, Evan Turner and possibly William Buford (that is highly debatable).
So these are the smart choices for national champion. So who am I taking?? Good question here is my reasoning... The only reason I am not considering Kentucky is because they start 3 freshman and lack the experience that Kansas has. I am not taking Syracuse, because NO team has EVER won the national championship when losing their 1st game in their conference tournament. Not Duke they only meets 4 of the 7 criteria and they have only made it to the sweet 16 once in the last three years holding a record of 3-3 in the big dance. Not Ohio State they meet 3 of the 7 criteria.
JayHawks All the way BABY!